Boneca Barriguda by Jùlia Côta - 11.8''
Authentic Portuguese Product
- In Stock / Usually ships within 24H
- Credit Card, PayPal or Apple Pay Secure payment
- Delivery in 4/5 days from Portugal
Why I love it
- An unclassifiable statuette halfway between handicraft and naive art.
- A burlesque evocation of Portuguese traditions and mythologies.
- A very modern work of art once removed from its environment.
- Single copy
- Height : 25 to 30 cm approx.
- Weight: about 1.5 kg
- Delivered with its certificate of authenticity
Júlia Côta is today one of the greatest living representatives of the "Barcelos Figurado", an artistic movement, an expression of Portuguese popular culture.
She is the granddaughter of João Domingos Côta da Rocha, known as the father of the Portuguese icon: the Galo de Barcelos (Rooster of Barcelos), who introduced her to the art of clay modelling at the age of 9.
Her works are now part of private collections, are sold all over the world and are sometimes assembled for temporary exhibitions or retrospectives. But Júlia has kept her simplicity, is always surprised by the honors she receives and continues to model clay in her small house, passing on her skills to her daughter, Prazeres.