6 quick recipes based on canned sardines.
The reputation of Portuguese canned sardines is well established. It is based on rigorous fishing practices during well defined periods and in specific areas. It is also due to the canning processes which are still manual and to the quality of the olive oils used. The results will be fleshy sardines, with a strong taste and enough fat.
You can, of course, taste them directly on a slice of toasted bread but you can also spend 5 to 10 minutes to cook a simple recipe... I give you some examples!:
★ Sardine rillettes
- 1 loaf of bread
- 1 can of sardines in olive oil
- 1 garlic and herbs fresh cheese (about 150g)
- 1/2 lemon
- 10 salted crackers
- 1 tablespoon of parsley
- Cut the baguette or the loaf into slices and run them through the toaster.
- Drain the sardines and remove the central edge.
- Place them in a bowl, drizzle with lemon juice and crush with a fork. Add the garlic and herbs fresh cheese and chopped parsley.
- Crumble the crackers and add them to the mixture.
- Mix well and place in a cool place.
- Serve these sardine rillettes with the small slices of toasted bread for the aperitif.
Spice up your sardine rillettes with a little flavoured salt or dried vegetables and spread them on your toast just before serving. This tip will make all the originality of your preparation and will give it a whole new dimension.
★ The sardine club sandwich
- 2 handfuls of salad
- 2 cans of sardines in olive oil
- 150 g fresh cheese
- 12 slices of sandwich bread
- Lemon, mustard, and pepper
- Squeeze the lemon, wash and spin the salad, open the cans of sardines, drain them and remove the central bone.
- In a bowl, combine the fresh cheese, sardines and mustard. Pour in the lemon juice and season. Crush the mixture with a fork until a homogeneous paste is obtained.
- Toast the slices of sandwich bread until a pretty golden colour appears.
- Spread sardines with fresh cheese on a slice of bread. Cover with salad. Overcome with a new slice of bread and repeat the operation once to obtain a sandwich of 3 slices of bread.
- Cut these sandwiches into the diagonal to make a triangle.
★ The fisherman's omelet
- 8 eggs
- 2 cans of sardines in oil
- 20 g butter
- Parsley, salt, pepper
- Drain the sardines, remove the central edge and drain them
- Beat the eggs with parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over low heat and fry the sardines for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and cook them in an omelet.
- Serve hot.
★ Rice salad with sardines
- 2 cans of sardines in oil
- 150 g of rice
- 1 can (400 g) of mixed vegetable
- 1 can (200 g) of corn
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of mustard
- Salt & pepper
- Cook the rice in a pan filled with boiling salted water. Drain it and let it cool.
- Open the cans of sardines, drain them, remove the central edge and chop them
- When the rice is cold, prepare the vinaigrette in a bowl by mixing the vinegar, a drizzle of oil, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add the rice, vegetable salad, corn and sardines in oil, chopped beforehand.
- Mix well and keep the salad in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Enjoy well chilled.
★ Pizza with sardines
- 1 prepared pizza dough
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of sardines with tomato
- 2 tomatoes
- 100 g mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven Thermostat 7 (210°C)
- Unroll the pizza dough and spread the tomato sauce on top.
- Open the sardine cans, drain them and remove the central edge
- Display the sardines in fillets on the pizza dough.
- Cut the mozzarella into thin slices and cover the sardines.
- Sprinkle with oregano.
- Slide into the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
★ Parmentier of potatoes and Portuguese sardines
- 4 large potatoes
- 4 cans of sardines in oil
- 10 cl of milk
- 125 g of fresh cheese
- 100 g of grated cheese
- 1 piece of butter
- Salt & pepper
- Peel and cut the potatoes into pieces
- Cook them in a pan filled with boiling salted water for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, open the cans of sardines, drain them, remove the central edge, keep the oil aside.
- Mash them coarsely with a fork and add the fresh cheese in a bowl.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and mash them in a bowl with milk, sardine oil, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the prepared sardines in a dish and cover with the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately after removing from the oven.