Boneca Barriguda by Prazeres Côta - 9.8"
Authentic Portuguese Product
- In Stock / Usually ships within 24H
- Credit Card, PayPal or Apple Pay Secure payment
- Delivery in 4/5 days from Portugal
Prazeres Côta's works, like her mother Júlia, evoke the rural life of Minho, its traditional characters and the influences of religious or mythological beliefs.
The Boneca Barriguda (Belly Doll) is a naive representation of Minho women that can still be found at markets or local festivals. She is presented here in her most beautiful clothes, dressed in her prettiest dress in bright colors and carrying a basket of fruit.
Why I love it
- An unclassifiable statuette halfway between craftsmanship and naive art.
- A naive and funny evocation of the traditions and mythologies of rural Minho always imbued with sensitivity and respect.
- The authentic and unique character of each of these handmade statuettes signed by their creator.
- Unique piece
- Height: 9.8"
- Width: 9.8"
- Weight: approx. 0,7 kg
The Côta family is the most charismatic and representative family of the figurative art of Barcelos and the Minho region in northern Portugal.
Prazeres, one of Julia Côta's daughters, now continues the tradition initiated by her great grandfather, João Domingos Côta da Rocha, creator of the famous Portuguese Rooster (Galo de Barcelos).
Already honored as the Breakthrough Artist of the Year at the Feira de Barcelos in 2018, the Pottery Museum has just included her in a"Geração Côta" exhibition and presents several of her works that belong to the Museum's collection and to private collections as well.