Boneca Barriguda I Statuette by Júlia Côta - 5.9"
Authentic Portuguese Product
- In Stock / Usually ships within 24H
- Genuine Portuguese Product
- Credit Card, PayPal, Apple Pay Secure payment
- Carbon Neutral Delivery in 4/5 days from Portugal
Single copy ! This statuette is the representation of life in rural Minho (Cradle of Portugal) which mixes primary and shimmering colors, feminine ornaments such as hats or earrings and women's daily preoccupations such as flowers, chickens, fish, eggs...
The Boneca Barriguda (Doll from Minho, in the North of Portugal) is the most authentic expression of Julia Côta's personal and creative universe. She shapes clay, naively, representing what she sees around her.
Why I love it
- An unclassifiable statuette halfway between handicraft and naive art.
- A burlesque evocation of Portuguese traditions and mythologies.
- A very modern work of art once removed from its environment.
- Single copy
- Height : 5.9"
- Weight: about 1 kg
- Delivered with its certificate of authenticity
Júlia Côta is today one of the greatest living representatives of the "Barcelos Figurado", an artistic movement, an expression of Portuguese popular culture. She is the granddaughter of João Domingos Côta da Rocha, known as the father of the Portuguese icon: the Galo de Barcelos (Rooster of Barcelos), who introduced her to the art of clay modelling at the age of 9.
At more than 85 years of age today, Júlia is a recognised artist, welcomed with honors on every trip she makes and visited, like an icon, by artists from all over the world who come to her small house in Barcelos in a street that now bears her name.
Her works are now part of private collections, are sold all over the world and are sometimes assembled for temporary exhibitions or retrospectives. But Júlia has kept her simplicity, is always surprised by the honors she receives and continues to model clay in her small house, passing on her skills to her daughter, Prazeres.