Portuguese Ceramic Rooster - Red
- In Stock / Same day shipping
- Authentic Portuguese product
- Secure payment by credit card, PayPal or Apple Pay
- Eco-friendly delivery | 4-5 days in the USA
- Exchange or refund within 30 days
Ceramic rooster of Barcelos, entirely handmade in an artisanal ceramic workshop. This piece is the product of a very fine craft and has an excellent finish: the ceramic work is perfect, the colors are bright and the glazed finish is beautiful.
- A simple and modern representation of a traditional Portuguese object
- A very good quality of manufacture, bright colors, and a magnificent glossy finish.
- The "lucky" charm dimension of this rooster.
- Height: 3.5", 7.1", 9.1", 11.8"
The rooster of Barcelos proposed here is manufactured and painted entirely by hand, in a small workshop located in the countryside of Caldas da Rainha, the cradle of Portuguese ceramics.
The legend of the Rooster of Barcelos
The Rooster of Barcelos symbolizes Faith, justice, and luck. It is a symbol rooted in Portuguese popular tradition. This traditional rooster is represented in very bright colors representative of the traditions of the Minho region, the cradle of Portugal.
Barcelos is a small town in Northern Portugal. Several crimes were committed there and no culprits were arrested until the day a pilgrim travelling to Saint John of Compostela was found guilty by the court.
He claimed his innocence and went to the judge to prove it. Seeing a rooster in a basket near him, the accused said: "It is true that I am innocent and your rooster will rise and crow when I am hanged!
The cock crowed and the judge ran to the place where the man had been hanged. He saw that the knot was incorrectly tightened and the man alive. He was thus considered innocent and released.